Thursday, May 28, 2015

Banks/Lynch 2 Needs To Main Event Next Takeover

Written by Wayne Mason
Photos by Maryann Mason

Whenever I lightheartedly refer to myself as an “unbiased sports journalist” my wife simply rolls her eyes and laughs at me. The reason she finds it amusing can be traced back to one person, Becky Lynch. That’s right, I am a huge mark for Becky Lynch. The wife knows it, friends know it, and even Becky knows it. Luckily for me I am not a journalist, but rather a lowly blogger and if I am a little biased it is my prerogative. However after an impressive performance at Takeover: Unstoppable, I feel more justified in my bias as the Becky bandwagon has picked up considerable steam.


Biased or not I believe that at Takeover: Unstoppable, wrestling fans across the world saw exactly what I saw from day one. They saw a fiery athlete with incredible ring acumen and an explosive move-set take on another incredible and passionate athlete in Sasha Banks. Together they put on an instant classic with great storytelling and fantastic ringwork. Quite simply, Lynch and Banks stole the show. Not only that, but they raised an already incredibly high bar concerning women’s matches in NXT. However, in the end they did not put on a great women’s match; they put on a great wrestling match, period.

I wasn’t surprised. I had predicted that they would steal the show. I wrote it, tweeted it, and told it to anyone that would listen. Also, when the status of Sami Zayn was unclear heading into the special, I made the case for Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks to main event Takeover. After their match they proved that they are more than capable of headlining, which has me already contemplating the future.


Fans are already clamoring at the idea of Banks/Lynch 2. While none of us know if there will even be a rematch, I think they could easily main event the next live special. The chemistry between these two ladies is incredible and with the proper booking the rematch could be even bigger than the first. I think we are on the verge of a new era in women’s wrestling and in many ways NXT is paving the way for the WWE, rather than the other way around. NXT can once again set the standard, just as they did in Philly when Sasha clashed with Charlotte in the main event, just as they have at several house shows down here in Florida. Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks in a Takeover main event can be the opening shots in a women’s wrestling revolution.

Or not. It really doesn’t matter where you put them on the card, because when they meet again they will steal the show anyway.




0 comments:

Post a Comment